Professional, confidential and sympathetic service
Browell Smith & Co Solicitors’ dedicated probate team ensure that the deceased’s estate is dealt with efficiently and professionally, giving you peace of mind that all formalities are complied with and all legal requirements are met.
We offer a professional personal service helping to ease the burden and ensuring you are informed of progress every step of the way.
Estate administration can be complex, but at Browell Smith & Co, our team of experts can help you through the process.
Contact our expert team today to arrange a free initial consultation at any of our offices, in Newcastle, Cramlington, Ashington and Sunderland, or alternatively at your home, to discuss your particular requirements.
Actions we can take for you
- Explain the terms of the Will (including any Trusts) or how the Rules of Intestacy apply to the estate (where there is no Will). Personal Representatives can be held personally liable to creditors and beneficiaries for any mistakes they make in administering the estate so it is important to understand your duties.
- Correspond with all relevant financial institutions and organisations notifying them of the death.
- Respond to all correspondence received and meet each organisation’s requirements
- Identify and value all of the assets and liabilities of the estate
- Identify beneficiaries in cases of intestacy
- Notify beneficiaries of their entitlement
- Keep personal representatives informed of progress
- Place statutory notices to manage claims against the estate and to limit the personal representative’s liability to creditors
- Prepare and complete all necessary documents and inheritance tax forms to apply for a grant of representation
- Pay inheritance tax or arrange an inheritance tax loan enabling a grant to be issued
- Apply to the Probate Registry for a Grant of Representation
Gather in the assets of the estate e.g. close bank accounts, cash in life policies and national savings investments
- Arrange for the sale or transfer of any assets of the estate e.g. house, shares or investments
- Finalise the income tax and capital gains tax position of the estate up to the date of death and during the administration period
- Settle all estate liabilities from estate funds in the appropriate order
- Prepare estate accounts
- Carry out bankruptcy searches
- Accurately distribute the estate according to the will or the rules of Intestacy
- Set-up and register any trusts created by the will or intestacy
Speak to a Specialist
Enter your details below and we will call you back...