Personal Injury Claims

Accidents in Public Places Claims

A team of specialist lawyers

Accidents don’t just happen at work, in the home or on the road, they can happen in public places with distressing consequences for you and your family.

At Browell Smith & Co Solicitors, we have a team of lawyers with specialist knowledge to guide you through this often-complicated area of the law, to the successful conclusion of your claim for compensation.

Common accidents occuring in public places include:

  • Injuries caused by defective footpaths, pavements or on roads
  • Property maintained by the local authority
  • Slip/trips inside supermarkets, shopping centres, sports complexes, car parks, pubs/restaurants etc.
  • Objects falling or being left in public places (i.e. building sites/scaffolding/pavements/alternate pedestrian walkways).

Contact our expert team today to arrange a free initial consultation at any of our offices, in Newcastle, Cramlington, Ashington and Sunderland, or alternatively at your home, to discuss your particular requirements.

Dawn Bagley

Solicitor - Head of Personal Injury & Medical Negligence

Kathryn Shingles

Solicitor - Personal Injury

Hayley Watson

Legal Clerk - Personal Injury

The responsibility

Local authorities and the owners of land upon which you have the right to be, have a responsibility to ensure that all pavements, roads and highways within their boundaries are clear of defects and maintained to a reasonable standard to avoid accidents.

In addition, all companies, no matter their size, have a duty of care to visitors to ensure they are not at risk of injury when lawfully on their premises.

If it can be proven that you, or anyone that you know, have sustained an injury as a result of a third party falling below that level of responsibility to ensure your safety, then you may be entitled to recover compensation for any injuries sustained.

As a consequence it is necessary to establish that someone was negligent or broke their statutory duty of care to you.

Time limits

As with all claims for personal injury compensation there are time limits within which a claim must be lodged with the Court. For accident claims, court proceedings must be started within three years from the date of the accident.

In the event that court proceedings are not started within three years from the relevant date, the negligent party may be able to escape paying compensation on the basis that your claim is out of time.

Speak to a Specialist

Enter your details below and we will call you back...